Children

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Honor thy Mother and Father

...but did the 10 Commandments ever say anything about fathers-in-law??? I hope not, because surely I'm going to be in some big trouble. I just cannot do it anymore. I try. I really have tried. Every time we see him I pray for peace and strength and promise myself that I will excuse every stupid, inconsiderate thing he says for the sake of my husband and my child-soon to be children. But ya know what? I'm sick of it. I'm not going to let guilt consume anymore about this. I don't have to like him. I will never try to keep my husband or children from him--he is their father/grandfather and he is not an evil, bad person. We just don't click and his comments absolutely drive me crazy. The kind of crazy where I just become a different person.

Last night after dinner, he and Andy were going to eat a yummy looking cake that my husband made the night before. I opted to have my carefully measured 1/2 cup of Edy's light ice cream. My father in law looks at me and says, "Ice cream is fattening." I looked right back at him and said, "This kind isn't" and he said, "Yeah it is....there's all that sugar!" Ok, go ahead and keep eating that cake with the pound of frosting on it--much better for you! Argh! I should mention that I am 17.5 weeks pregnant and feeling HUGE....okay, enough with the fat comments to the pregnant lady, okay? Last time I was pregnant with Luke, I was eating a burger and fries at a restaurant and he called me "a chow hound"...This morning he told me I should do some exercises more often! And all he can talk about is how good it is that Luke "exercises" and that we should make sure he keeps it up! IT"S CALLED PLAYING NOT EXERCISING!!!!! Serenity now please! Can you tell I haven't let this stuff go?? Hence, the aforementioned bottled up guilt...spilling out now at a pace I cannot control.

Okay, I feel a little better now. Only a little. After all, I still have one and a half days to go. Please God, grant me strength and oh, just a little bit of that trait I never did find--patience.

1 comment:

Mrs. Schaeffer said...

I need an update! I'm dying here! Give me something. Come one! It's been tooooo long. Puh-lease!