So, my birthday is in a few weeks (as my dear husband reminded me!)! I NEVER forget my birthday--as soon as May pops up, I'm always so excited for my special day, so you know I've been busy and sleep deprived when that happens! Anyways, I will be 31 years old! To me, that sounds old--I know it is not really in the grand scheme of things, but to think that 10 years ago, I was only turning 21--just becoming an adult--I wasn't even out of college yet--wow! The funny thing is, I don't feel 31 (whatever that should feel like!)--I still feel like I'm 21--until I look in the mirror and realize I see some aging on my face from my years spent in the sun and my body changed due to the beautiful babies I gave birth to. It's a bit shocking now to read in magazines that I need to start prepping my skin with anti-aging creams/washes. Seriously? Just yesterday it seems I was reading about using washes to keep my skin healthy and pure...but ah, that was my 20's.
Now, I got to thinking about all this not solely because of my birthday, but because of something that happened while I was out driving the other day. It was a gorgeous, warm spring day here in Virginia. I was kid-free because I was on my way to the dentist (who-hoo!). I was wearing one of the few pants and t-shirts that still fit me--dark brown khakis and an orange t-shirt with brown Sketcher sneakers. My dark, autumnal colors stood in stark contrast to the beautiful, sunny day we were having. However, I still felt pretty good about myself because I had makeup on and my hair was actually blowdried (both a rarity since having a newborn!). Until that is, I saw a cute convertible with about 5 young blonde girls in it...their hair still perfect despite the convertible top down, their music blaring, all with cute tank tops and shades on and their skin perfectly bronzed. Suddenly, they look over at me and I am now painfully aware of what I look like in my dark, dowdy clothes and driving my minivan. Ouch! I am SO a mom and I'm old!!
While this got me feeling down, initially; in the end, I'm okay with it, because yes I AM a mom and I DO drive a mini-van and yes, I DO have to work at getting back into my pre-pregnancy clothes. BUT, I wouldn't trade any of it because I have a great husband and two deliciously sweet, cute little boys who make my life so rich and wonderful. Because I get to hear the sound of Luke's little feet as he runs around the house screaming "I love you mama!" Because I get to watch Jake smile peacefully as he sleeps in my arms. Because I married my best friend. And yes, at times they frustrate me (all 3 of them!) and make me exhausted, but they also love and adore me--even in my dowdy clothes and my hair unwashed in a scrappy pony tail! And that is a love you don't trade for ANYTHING!
So bring it on, 31...I can't wait until I'm 41 and get to reflect back on these 10 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment