I love Christmas! Who doesn't?? But I was especially excited for this Christmas. First, this was the first Christmas in two years that we have actually been at our own house for Christmas! Ever since Luke was born, we've spent the holiday in Boston with my family--who I very much missed this year. However, it was nice not to have to travel and to decorate knowing we'd see gifts under our very own tree!. Additionally, this is the first year that Luke had an idea as to what Christmas is all about--from presents to Santa to the birth of Jesus--the real reason for the season. At first he didn't believe that there actually was a Santa Claus, but by Christmas Eve, he was very excited about Santa coming down our "hot"--which is what he calls our fireplace. On Christmas morning he even told me that he heard Santa come down "the hot"!!
It was also the first Christmas we celebrated with TWO children. How blessed we are!! Jacob really completes our family and we had double the fun that morning. Even my little 9 month old got excited about the toys and the wrapping paper. It was so much fun to watch them both. Jacob loved eating everything that wasn't actual food and Luke's face when he saw his most favorite gift (a kitchen) was priceless and just what I dreamed it would be.
Since Jake just went with the flow and Luke was totally into his kitchen, the rest of us (me, Andy, and Grandpa Gene) got to eat breakfast and get some much needed coffee. Four hours later, we finally got through opening all the gifts. I was so anxious to see Luke's face open each gift, but had to remind myself to appreciate this slow and relaxed approach, as I'm sure it won't be long until both boys are tearing through gifts in a frenzy!
I remember anticipating Christmas as a child so much that I would get nervous butterflies in my stomach and had a hard time staying asleep! As I got older, although I loved the gifts every bit as much, I was "too cool" to race to the tree and see what "Santa" brought us. Finally, this year once again, I had that butterflies in my tummy feeling and was waking up every hour anxiously waiting for my children to wake up. And wouldn't you know that both kids slept a little bit late that day? Ah, the ironies of life!
The rest of Christmas day was spent lounging in our pajamas, eating cookies and candy, and playing with the toys scattered everywhere. I really couldn't think of a better way to spend Christmas...unless of course the rest of my family was with us. But, there's always next year...;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment