Happy New Year's Eve! Today is the very last day of 2009 and of the 00's. This decade has been about 1/3 of my entire life thus far and it has also been the most transforming for me. Yes, during my first decade of life I was born, learned to eat, crawl,walk, toilet train, read, write, etc. However, these past 10 years have probably had the most impact on me and my future.
The decade started out with a bang for sure. Amidst all the Y2K frenzy, I graduated from college in the Spring of 2000 and moved out of my childhood home for the first time in August 2000, when I joined the US Capitol Police. All of a sudden I found myself in rural Georgia at the academy very far from my home, my family, and my friends. I learned things about myself both professionally and personally that I carry with me today. This was the first decade in which I really grew up. I bought my first car, my first home, and had my very first set of bills! Hello real world!
Just one year later, life as we all know it and certainly my job as a police officer were to be changed forever on September 11, 2001. I began to look at the world and my job differently. Professionally speaking, the next few years were a whirlwind of opportunities and advancement. I traveled the country protecting members of Congress, became a criminal investigator, and received training opportunties I had only dreamed about. Personally, I spent my hard earned overtime traveling the Caribbean and purchased my first condo.
About halfway through the decaded, I fell in love with my now husband--fittingly in Boston during the Democratic National Conventions. So much good has come from my life and time in Boston! In 2006 we got married and purchased our first real house together and where we live today.
Sadly, this decade did bring us some deep sadness when Andy's mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died almost a year and half later. But we know she is watching over us from above and is likely laughing and smiling as she always did in her eartlhy life!
Fastforward almost three years, and we have two beautiful children together and two beautiful nieces and one adorable nephew. All of the Hamilton cousins were born this decade. This decade has brought us many blessings and I hope the next 10 years will continue to find us all in excellent health and spirit.
One last, but very important note for this decade in review concerning family and friends. I truly came to cherish, respect, love, and appreciate my family over the past 10 years. Moving away and growing up will do that to you. I've also come to appreciate and love all the friends I've had and lost over the past 10 years. Some were around as the saying goes "for a season" and some "for a reason". Others are my forever friends--both old and new. But one thing is for sure--I have loved you and cherished you all--whether you were my friend for a season, a reason, old, new, and forever. You've all added something to my life and I know that we have many more life adventures to explore in this new decade. So, Happy New Year and decade. May we all be blessed!
1 comment:
Stopped by for a visit and got to enjoy two lovely posts. I loved your decade in review. I could tell from your Christmas photos on fb that the boys had a blast. This was the first year that both of our kiddos really enjoyed the magic of Santa, and as Abby said it, "Jesus in the cribby." Although we don't see you as often as we'd like, we cherish every member of the Pecher family. Andy couldn't have found a better partner in 'crime'.
Post a Comment