Today is Day 4 of my snow-in. I sit here writing this stuffing my face with Milky Way fun size bars leftover from Halloween, in my pajamas which I've worn for the past three days. Yes, I'm going crazy. I know to some people four days may not be alot, but to me, someone who likes to bring (drag) my kids everywhere most days of the week, this is killing me! We're finally plowed out, but the roads still don't look all that great and we all know I'm a terrible snow/ice driver. Yes, I'm from Boston, but that doesn't matter--I still hate to drive in the snow/ice ever since I totaled my car in 2008 in an ice storm.
Speaking of being from Boston...you would think I loved the snow or at the very least wouldn't mind it. Nope--never have and never will. My mother was very pregnant with me way back in the great Blizzard of 1978 and she and my father were reduced to walking everywhere for awhile--I must've picked up on my hatred of snow in-utero!! As a little kid, of course I loved sledding, ice skating, building snow forts and even eating snow, but as I got older, snow became Public Enemy #1. As a teenager, snow meant I couldn't go out. My parents didn't want me driving in the bad weather and certainly did not trust any of my friends or boyfriends to drive me around. So, whenever a snorm threatened to cancel my plans, I quickly became a sullen teen with great angst. While I may have grown up and can make my own decisions now, I still hate when the snow puts a crimp in my plans. So, yes, I turn into a sullen middle-aged mama. No running errands, no Mom's Club activities for the kids...no nothing!
My husband laughed at me over the weekend when I opened up our bedroom window just to take in the fresh air. Yes, it was freezing and I could barely see out over the snow that covered the window, but I felt I needed the cold shocking air just to continue breathing myself. And this morning, when I actually stepped out my front door to get the paper in 17 degree weather, I actually thought to myself as I did a happy dance that it wasn't all THAT cold! Maybe I could take the kids out for a walk...ok, I'm losing it, but I'm not that crazy--YET!
They say we are expecting another 5-10 inches of snow tomorrow night. So by spring, I'm sure I will have gained 10 lbs and have nothing to wear but my red snowflake fleece pajamas which have pancake batter and snot all over them since both kids are sick and I've done nothing but cook and bake all weekend!
As for my rocky relationship with the snow, well, perhaps it will be slightly amended once BOTH of my children are old enough and healthy enough to go out and play in it...for surely, I will be right there with them, re-experiencing the joys of sledding, ice skating, fort building and snow eating--well, maybe not the snow eating because I know better now and we all know what a germaphobe I am!! For I am able to put aside my opinion of the snow as long as my children can find joy in it...until of course they are teenagers, in which case they will NOT be driving in this stuff nor will I trust their friends/girlfriends to cart them around either!! I did after all, learn from the best!
No comments:
Post a Comment